This project allowed me to research how to go about programming audio and DSP techniques, a field that I have not really looked into before but is so complicated I don’t think I’ll revisit it lightly!
Here’s the final video making of and software artifact:
I used OnAudioFilterRead, a Unity function that allows access to the audio buffer, to generate procedural audio. I explored three primary methods of synthesis: additive, subtractive and granular, although I feel I haven’t scratched the surface of any of them! The hardest thing was organising all the numbers that affect a complex sound; I can see why visual languages such as Pd are useful.
Here’s a detailed report on the process if you’re interested, including some of the code I wrote: